Skip to main content

Outsourcing Wearable Obj: Finalize and Verify

 

My final decision for the ring is the vial one (To view the other concepts, please visit older blog posts). From the proof sheet, I only made the band a solid shape instead of a hollowed-out ring that works like a bottle. I hollowed out the neck area but the measurement of the cork vs the neck wasn't properly aligned after skewing it. So I only had the outlines to work with and restart building the shape. I ended up creating a thicker ring design to make sure printing could work. 



I thought I knew how I was going to approach this with the skills I had until I realized I'm using the wrong Boolean command. I struggled with getting an offset version of the ring's band to be deleted on the inside so the model will be hollowed out, I was working with Boolean split, thinking that should work, but it split into 6 copies of the ring in the same place. After a bit of troubleshooting, I realized that BooleanDifference was the command I was supposed to be using this whole time. For both the band of the ring and the bottleneck portion, all I needed to do was use one command instead of doing a split, cap, offset, and loft multiple times. 

So with the Wall Thickness in mind, I had to make sure that I left a decent amount of space between each wall when I'm hollowing the ring out. When I opened 3D tools in Shapeways, I forgot to change the material at first and freaked myself out thinking that the whole thing didn't qualify for the wall thickness, but since I chose SLA Plastic Clear - Accura 60, it means that I did end up passing everything on the
tolerance test. 

**SLA Plastic Clear - Accura 60 (A rigid semi-clear photopolymer resin)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

4. Parametric Structure Scale Model (Digital) (ii)

Title: Lap Wave Desk Inspiration: Ocean/Wave glass sculptures and The Great Wave off Kanagawa print by Hokusai Difference from typical furniture: A typical lap desk is formal looking, just metal and a plain one colour platform. I wanted something that's less traditional and more sculpture base, one that looks like an art piece and might benefit some users with the wave patterns as holders.  Function: It's a lap desk! Those computer desks are portable and you can put them on your lap to hold your laptop on. Others might use it as a standing desk by putting it on top of a regular table Intended Location: Homes and maybe a less traditional office Intended Audience: Students, office workers, people who need to do work standing or work portable Here are the renders for my lap desk, I made two versions of it. One in an Oak material, one in transparent plastic with a slight blue colour just to make sure it would appear in the render. I made the decision of the transparent one bec...

Reverse Engg Object: Process II

  After many struggles, I've finally begun doing the 3D version. I was stuck on creating the curved in the area for the scissors where the blade began to slant down. However, once I finished the more tricky side of the scissors (took a solid 4.5 hours), I created the second side in half the time! I tried rendering the separate blades and handles with metal and plastic for the materials. And it finally began looking like the pair of scissors I was trying to recreate!     All I'm missing now is creating the screw that holds the two sides together, though I realized this week that I couldn't' exactly take out the screw. So I have to figure out an alternative way to view it, and calculate it!

6) Parametric furniture Group Project (Final Concepting)

  Well well well, we had a lot of elements from group 2's design where we wanted to create and join together. But we've decided to limit it to just the bookshelf and bench for now, creating the rod so it can potentially be worked on in the future if we or other OBDF students would like to. We definitely don't have enough time to work on everything we initially planned for, nor the material even though we could really push it and use every inch we can to fit everything onto the 6-8 pieces we have. This week we wanted to combine the maze design with the bench to really create a unison look, along with figuring out how the maze would print on the CNC without the pieces being too flimsy.  For the bench group we were discussing how pieces could potentially interlock with each other so that it can be built without nails or screws. Reference the really messy white board drawing ideas we have down below. But to a certain extent we still want the pieces to be easily assembled and ca...