Skip to main content

02. Parametric Structure & Animation


 (Count Slider)

 (Seed Slider)

For this week, I was still experimenting with shapes and what tools to use. I kept hitting walls like lofts connecting at the wrong points, arc joining 30 inches high and in all directions, and caps not working after an extrusion because it intersected at a tiny section. Though I did want to try a more complex concept from what we learned in class with more polygon shapes rather than circles and squares. 

I began with triangles and wanted to fill the interior shape with mini versions of the same shape but triangles weren't rotating, they all stayed flat at the bottom. So I switched over to a hexagon and began this Honeycomb Island Table. A regular tabletop extruded and overlapped with the bottom legs with a thick enough base at the centre that will keep the table stable. The table legs are aligned in a honeycomb pattern with slight spaces in between the individual legs, they extrude into the glass top section past the base shape. The top glass section could also be done in resin with inner gold honeycomb shapes "floating" inside, also being held up by the extruded legs. 

I did try to create a stacked round table with a hexagon but for some reason, it didn't want to work. I had to adjust individual hidden options yet still it wouldn't work at the end when I tried to cap it. Not sure what the problem is but it only worked with circles/cylinders when I tried it in class. 

Side note, no idea why the glass part blended in with the background so much but I promise it was there when I animated it. There are some screenshots of the original rendered form down below!



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

4. Parametric Structure Scale Model (Digital) (ii)

Title: Lap Wave Desk Inspiration: Ocean/Wave glass sculptures and The Great Wave off Kanagawa print by Hokusai Difference from typical furniture: A typical lap desk is formal looking, just metal and a plain one colour platform. I wanted something that's less traditional and more sculpture base, one that looks like an art piece and might benefit some users with the wave patterns as holders.  Function: It's a lap desk! Those computer desks are portable and you can put them on your lap to hold your laptop on. Others might use it as a standing desk by putting it on top of a regular table Intended Location: Homes and maybe a less traditional office Intended Audience: Students, office workers, people who need to do work standing or work portable Here are the renders for my lap desk, I made two versions of it. One in an Oak material, one in transparent plastic with a slight blue colour just to make sure it would appear in the render. I made the decision of the transparent one bec...

Quick 3D printing tutorial

  Hey everyone who's reading my blog, here's a quick tutorial for people who just need a refresh of how to 3D print. But for sure make an appointment with technician if you need a full tutorial.  RHINO STEPS: 1) Select your objects that you want to 3D print, go file > export selected 2) Make sure your object is exported as an STL, Binary option!!! 3) A slider window should show up, adjust accordingly: more polygons means higher res of your object, which is great if you're printing something detailed or small, less polygon is good for faster printing. PRUSA SLICER: **Link from Object.digital, download for whatever you need for your comp https://github.com/prusa3d/PrusaSlicer/releases 1) When opening this, select Prusa i3 MK2.5 printer with a nozzle diameter size of 0.4mm. THIS IS IMPORTANT TO CHANGE!!! 2) After you've chosen these selections, save the printer info and a diff window with the plater header should show up. Click the cube with a plus sign 3) Import your S...

4. Parametric Furniture Scale Model (Physical) (iii)

This is my physical print, it was done with clear acrylic laser-cut pieces glued together with crazy glue. (At the end there's a 3D print version!) So I laid out 32 pieces to laser cut which I thought was enough, but it surprisingly still too thin compared to my rendered file. Which is fine because the table is suppose to be adjustable for width, angle height, and amount of curves/grooves/waves. And glueing it together wasn't perfect either because some pieces wanted to shift right before the glue dried so it created a wavy shape in every other angle too... yay... And some of the pieces were cut on a non-flat surface of the acrylic, which is weird I didn't know that could have been an issue until now. I glued together pieces 2 by 2 then join those to 4 by 4, then 8 by 8. At this point is where I found the issue, where there were random gaps in between the laser-cut pieces (see pictures below) and no matter how much I try to sand the edges, it would not go together. Thats ho...