Skip to main content

01. My First Definition


Tutorial Screenshots:

           

Own "Riff" Screenshots:
For my riff, I wanted to try out curves, bi-arc, and lofting separate parts. But I also wanted to test out commands I often used in Rhino to see the difference between Rhino and Grasshopper. Turns out, fillet edge on extruded cylinders from points on a curve does not work... It's apparently not as simple which is great... I was really tempted to manually fillet individual edges in Rhino after I bake Grasshopper shapes. But I resisted because I wanted to see what I can achieve with the least amount of Rhino commands possible. I think I ended up making a bowl with a lot of "Saturns" on the brim of the bi-arced base shape. 



   

Problems I ran into:
Some tricky things I've run into are double-clicking to type a command and right-clicking. I keep reversing it, so when I try to type a command I'd try to right-click to do it. Then when I wanted to find "set one curve" I keep wanting to double click one of those battery icons.

I also wished that I could hold the alt/option and just drag the batteries to copy a new set. But apparently, alt in Grasshopper means a different thing, so I have to go old school and command+c, command+v everything. 

Maybe this is an Apple thing, but if I opened the Rhino and Grasshopper file separately then it won't work. In fact, the Rhino disconnects to the Grasshopper file, the Grasshopper file opens up a new rhino file without any of the curves or lofts. Which is a little strange and I have to keep it in mind to open both at the same time initially, even if I don't need to use Grasshopper right away. 

Lofting, didn't know there was a hidden "closed loft" checkbox I had to click. So I re-did my own "riff" design so many times because I thought I was doing something wrong in the process. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

4. Parametric Structure Scale Model (Digital) (ii)

Title: Lap Wave Desk Inspiration: Ocean/Wave glass sculptures and The Great Wave off Kanagawa print by Hokusai Difference from typical furniture: A typical lap desk is formal looking, just metal and a plain one colour platform. I wanted something that's less traditional and more sculpture base, one that looks like an art piece and might benefit some users with the wave patterns as holders.  Function: It's a lap desk! Those computer desks are portable and you can put them on your lap to hold your laptop on. Others might use it as a standing desk by putting it on top of a regular table Intended Location: Homes and maybe a less traditional office Intended Audience: Students, office workers, people who need to do work standing or work portable Here are the renders for my lap desk, I made two versions of it. One in an Oak material, one in transparent plastic with a slight blue colour just to make sure it would appear in the render. I made the decision of the transparent one bec...

Reverse Engg Object: Process II

  After many struggles, I've finally begun doing the 3D version. I was stuck on creating the curved in the area for the scissors where the blade began to slant down. However, once I finished the more tricky side of the scissors (took a solid 4.5 hours), I created the second side in half the time! I tried rendering the separate blades and handles with metal and plastic for the materials. And it finally began looking like the pair of scissors I was trying to recreate!     All I'm missing now is creating the screw that holds the two sides together, though I realized this week that I couldn't' exactly take out the screw. So I have to figure out an alternative way to view it, and calculate it!

6) Parametric furniture Group Project (Final Concepting)

  Well well well, we had a lot of elements from group 2's design where we wanted to create and join together. But we've decided to limit it to just the bookshelf and bench for now, creating the rod so it can potentially be worked on in the future if we or other OBDF students would like to. We definitely don't have enough time to work on everything we initially planned for, nor the material even though we could really push it and use every inch we can to fit everything onto the 6-8 pieces we have. This week we wanted to combine the maze design with the bench to really create a unison look, along with figuring out how the maze would print on the CNC without the pieces being too flimsy.  For the bench group we were discussing how pieces could potentially interlock with each other so that it can be built without nails or screws. Reference the really messy white board drawing ideas we have down below. But to a certain extent we still want the pieces to be easily assembled and ca...