Skip to main content

Reverse Engineering Object: Selection

 

So selecting my objects for this reverse engineering project, I wanted to select an object that was do-able. 

I have selected a tray, a pair of scissors, and a photo frame. All three of them have separate parts that can be pulled apart and put back together, the tray and the photo frame doesn't require screws and specific tools to take apart. I believe the scizzor I have has a screw and ending tab thing that attaches the blade and plastic handles. 

These three objects should be considered "mechanical" in nature enough. I chose scizzor as my first option since it seems the most mechanical and simple. The tray is more of a repeating pattern all around even with the objects holding the two trays separate, it's still a repeating thing. So a challenge for the pattern and sizing to fit each other, along with alignment, but besides that it should be a somewhat reasonable object to do for three weeks. A photo frame, because of the pattern and detailing to the frame, along with the back screws for the "hinges" I think it's a cool idea to go with, even though it seems very 2D. it's a good variation in material if we render the objects in those three weeks too compared to the others that are just plastic and metal. 













Comments

Popular posts from this blog

4. Parametric Structure Scale Model (Digital) (ii)

Title: Lap Wave Desk Inspiration: Ocean/Wave glass sculptures and The Great Wave off Kanagawa print by Hokusai Difference from typical furniture: A typical lap desk is formal looking, just metal and a plain one colour platform. I wanted something that's less traditional and more sculpture base, one that looks like an art piece and might benefit some users with the wave patterns as holders.  Function: It's a lap desk! Those computer desks are portable and you can put them on your lap to hold your laptop on. Others might use it as a standing desk by putting it on top of a regular table Intended Location: Homes and maybe a less traditional office Intended Audience: Students, office workers, people who need to do work standing or work portable Here are the renders for my lap desk, I made two versions of it. One in an Oak material, one in transparent plastic with a slight blue colour just to make sure it would appear in the render. I made the decision of the transparent one bec...

Quick 3D printing tutorial

  Hey everyone who's reading my blog, here's a quick tutorial for people who just need a refresh of how to 3D print. But for sure make an appointment with technician if you need a full tutorial.  RHINO STEPS: 1) Select your objects that you want to 3D print, go file > export selected 2) Make sure your object is exported as an STL, Binary option!!! 3) A slider window should show up, adjust accordingly: more polygons means higher res of your object, which is great if you're printing something detailed or small, less polygon is good for faster printing. PRUSA SLICER: **Link from Object.digital, download for whatever you need for your comp https://github.com/prusa3d/PrusaSlicer/releases 1) When opening this, select Prusa i3 MK2.5 printer with a nozzle diameter size of 0.4mm. THIS IS IMPORTANT TO CHANGE!!! 2) After you've chosen these selections, save the printer info and a diff window with the plater header should show up. Click the cube with a plus sign 3) Import your S...

4. Parametric Furniture Scale Model (Physical) (iii)

This is my physical print, it was done with clear acrylic laser-cut pieces glued together with crazy glue. (At the end there's a 3D print version!) So I laid out 32 pieces to laser cut which I thought was enough, but it surprisingly still too thin compared to my rendered file. Which is fine because the table is suppose to be adjustable for width, angle height, and amount of curves/grooves/waves. And glueing it together wasn't perfect either because some pieces wanted to shift right before the glue dried so it created a wavy shape in every other angle too... yay... And some of the pieces were cut on a non-flat surface of the acrylic, which is weird I didn't know that could have been an issue until now. I glued together pieces 2 by 2 then join those to 4 by 4, then 8 by 8. At this point is where I found the issue, where there were random gaps in between the laser-cut pieces (see pictures below) and no matter how much I try to sand the edges, it would not go together. Thats ho...