Skip to main content

Objectify Response

In response to the documentary, I have created a modern design of a watch using TinkerCad. My design is inspired by a designer in New York named Karim Rashid and his watch design shown in the documentary at 44:36, where he had designed a watch with two faces, a dual clock design. I found that to be an interesting and unique design for a watch, so I created a watch similar to that but with my own twist to it.

I agree with his views on how he stated that modern designs of today, even the simplest things in our daily lives, still appear and are designed around the "old school" versions of it. As he said, "we live in the third technological revolution", but we are not designing and evolving with our technological age as it is changing around us. Chairs are still the same or similar designs as they were before, what could we do to change it up? Like Rashid said, "how can I put my fingerprint to differentiate ours from everyone else or every other designer?" What could I design that is different, unique, yet maintains a design that people would still purchase?

This is a simple design I created, that contains the same strap shape as a normal watch but without any belt-like closure or metal clasp closure. Because of how we always look back at older versions of designs, I decided to bring back the 80's slap bracelet design for the strap. I designed it this way because of the experience I've had with watches. The old designs are often belt-like straps made out of leather or metal clasps that are really hard to adjust in size, whether you have a smaller wrist or a bigger wrist, it's always a hassle to pay to make adjustments on the watch strap. My design includes a slap bracelet style design so that it can fit anyone's wrist without paying for extra adjustments. Karim Rashid said he strives to design objects to be simple, engaging, and easy on the eye for others. That got me thinking on a simple, minimalistic design for the watch. Since it's already a slap bracelet watch strap, I kept everything a solid colour, handles that rotate slightly above the face of the watch. Then I had the number 12 engraved into the watch, I did that to make it minimalistic yet fancy or luxurious in a sense because it shows a craftwork side to the watch.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

4. Parametric Structure Scale Model (Digital) (ii)

Title: Lap Wave Desk Inspiration: Ocean/Wave glass sculptures and The Great Wave off Kanagawa print by Hokusai Difference from typical furniture: A typical lap desk is formal looking, just metal and a plain one colour platform. I wanted something that's less traditional and more sculpture base, one that looks like an art piece and might benefit some users with the wave patterns as holders.  Function: It's a lap desk! Those computer desks are portable and you can put them on your lap to hold your laptop on. Others might use it as a standing desk by putting it on top of a regular table Intended Location: Homes and maybe a less traditional office Intended Audience: Students, office workers, people who need to do work standing or work portable Here are the renders for my lap desk, I made two versions of it. One in an Oak material, one in transparent plastic with a slight blue colour just to make sure it would appear in the render. I made the decision of the transparent one bec...

Quick 3D printing tutorial

  Hey everyone who's reading my blog, here's a quick tutorial for people who just need a refresh of how to 3D print. But for sure make an appointment with technician if you need a full tutorial.  RHINO STEPS: 1) Select your objects that you want to 3D print, go file > export selected 2) Make sure your object is exported as an STL, Binary option!!! 3) A slider window should show up, adjust accordingly: more polygons means higher res of your object, which is great if you're printing something detailed or small, less polygon is good for faster printing. PRUSA SLICER: **Link from Object.digital, download for whatever you need for your comp https://github.com/prusa3d/PrusaSlicer/releases 1) When opening this, select Prusa i3 MK2.5 printer with a nozzle diameter size of 0.4mm. THIS IS IMPORTANT TO CHANGE!!! 2) After you've chosen these selections, save the printer info and a diff window with the plater header should show up. Click the cube with a plus sign 3) Import your S...

Reverse Engg Object: Process II

  After many struggles, I've finally begun doing the 3D version. I was stuck on creating the curved in the area for the scissors where the blade began to slant down. However, once I finished the more tricky side of the scissors (took a solid 4.5 hours), I created the second side in half the time! I tried rendering the separate blades and handles with metal and plastic for the materials. And it finally began looking like the pair of scissors I was trying to recreate!     All I'm missing now is creating the screw that holds the two sides together, though I realized this week that I couldn't' exactly take out the screw. So I have to figure out an alternative way to view it, and calculate it!