Skip to main content

Memorial Jewellery Documentation II


Here's part two of my memorial jewellery piece, the final renders and explanations for my decisions on this project. 



The functionality of the ear cuff is still iffy to me. I tried to create a hinge for the bottom curve so that it would make sense as a piece that uses the earring hole, instead of just being a metal that hangs on the ear. But overall I feel like it is still lacking in that portion of the design because it doesn't fully make sense. I would assume that you'd have to wear the bottom part through the earring hole before clipping the back end together and hooking it over the top of the ear. And because I created it as a hinge-based opening, I had to pair it with a snap post closure instead of the screw back I had initially chosen. 

Theoretically, this ear cuff curvature would have to be adjusted from person to person because it's more personalized to fit an individual's ear shape. Plus it's designed to be aligned to the outer earlobe piercing so it wouldn't be wearable for someone who doesn't have that second earlobe earring hole that I aligned it to, on the mannequin.





The ear cuff is an extrusion of my flat design so it would appear that all the edges are still very sharp. And initially, I didn't think of the discomfort of that decision until I made it in Rhino. I ended up going into the areas that would touch lean against the ear and commanding fillet edge to them to smoothen it out, even though it was 0.25. Because a little curvature on the edges is better than very sharp angles if you think about how it would feel if you were the mannequin in Rhino. 

Overall this was a fun CAD incorporated project I did for my project. It made me revisit the spinal and flow commands on Rhino in more detail. I would definitely try to create some more jewellery-based designs for my projects in other classes or over the summer just to test things out. Especially with such cool renders in the end! It's worth making a sketch into a 3D object through Rhino to view your design as more than just a flat sketch. 

---

CREDIT:

Ear Model Used: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2948466

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

4. Parametric Structure Scale Model (Digital) (ii)

Title: Lap Wave Desk Inspiration: Ocean/Wave glass sculptures and The Great Wave off Kanagawa print by Hokusai Difference from typical furniture: A typical lap desk is formal looking, just metal and a plain one colour platform. I wanted something that's less traditional and more sculpture base, one that looks like an art piece and might benefit some users with the wave patterns as holders.  Function: It's a lap desk! Those computer desks are portable and you can put them on your lap to hold your laptop on. Others might use it as a standing desk by putting it on top of a regular table Intended Location: Homes and maybe a less traditional office Intended Audience: Students, office workers, people who need to do work standing or work portable Here are the renders for my lap desk, I made two versions of it. One in an Oak material, one in transparent plastic with a slight blue colour just to make sure it would appear in the render. I made the decision of the transparent one bec...

Quick 3D printing tutorial

  Hey everyone who's reading my blog, here's a quick tutorial for people who just need a refresh of how to 3D print. But for sure make an appointment with technician if you need a full tutorial.  RHINO STEPS: 1) Select your objects that you want to 3D print, go file > export selected 2) Make sure your object is exported as an STL, Binary option!!! 3) A slider window should show up, adjust accordingly: more polygons means higher res of your object, which is great if you're printing something detailed or small, less polygon is good for faster printing. PRUSA SLICER: **Link from Object.digital, download for whatever you need for your comp https://github.com/prusa3d/PrusaSlicer/releases 1) When opening this, select Prusa i3 MK2.5 printer with a nozzle diameter size of 0.4mm. THIS IS IMPORTANT TO CHANGE!!! 2) After you've chosen these selections, save the printer info and a diff window with the plater header should show up. Click the cube with a plus sign 3) Import your S...

6) Parametric furniture Group Project (Final Concepting)

  Well well well, we had a lot of elements from group 2's design where we wanted to create and join together. But we've decided to limit it to just the bookshelf and bench for now, creating the rod so it can potentially be worked on in the future if we or other OBDF students would like to. We definitely don't have enough time to work on everything we initially planned for, nor the material even though we could really push it and use every inch we can to fit everything onto the 6-8 pieces we have. This week we wanted to combine the maze design with the bench to really create a unison look, along with figuring out how the maze would print on the CNC without the pieces being too flimsy.  For the bench group we were discussing how pieces could potentially interlock with each other so that it can be built without nails or screws. Reference the really messy white board drawing ideas we have down below. But to a certain extent we still want the pieces to be easily assembled and ca...